Saturday, April 7, 2007

It's All Just Paranoia

I get fidgety in elevators, if I'm by myself. Only for a moment. I'll tap on the carriage walls, or sort of stretch and contort in to some odd position, or maybe do a little twirl and dance. Until I remember about the video camera. It always happens one second too late, after I've done something to prove that I'm not an adult.

I have three basic reactions when I notice a security camera. The first is to stare at them and smile. The second is to give them the finger or make a face. The third is a desire that I had a can of spray paint, so I could spray paint the lens.

The Institute for Applied Economy, whose stated mission is:
The Institute for Applied Autonomy (IAA) was founded in 1998 as a technological research and development organization dedicated to the cause of individual and collective self-determination. Our mission is to study the forces and structures which affect self-determination and to provide technologies which extend the autonomy of human activists.

has put together the iSee website, by which you can map a destination route from one Manhattan location to another, encountering the least possible amount of automatic surveillance. Handy.

No comments: