Monday, June 4, 2007

UCS: Tom Papa


I grew up watching a lot of stand-up on television. We got cable when I was in junior high, and Comedy Central's Stand Up Stand Up soon became an afternoon staple of my latch-key lifestyle. So I consider myself a connoisseur of the form.

Upon moving to New York, I had the pleasure of stopping in from time to time on one of the more entertaining $20 nights that the city offers - the nightly two-drink minimum stand-up bill at the Comedy Cellar. There are a lot of working stand-ups at the Comedy Cellar who perform on a nightly basis and are incredibly funny. Many of these comedians fly just below the national radar - they don't have sitcoms, they may get a half-hour specials on Comedy Central - but they are funnier than most super-famous comedians and they tour a lot, as well. The list is long, but some of my favorites include Mitch Fatel, Greg Giraldo, Louis CK, Jeff Ross, Todd Barry, Mark Maron. Well, the list goes on. And all terribly under-appreciated for how funny they are. Catch them if you have the chance.

Flipping through the television tonight, I came across a half hour special that Tom Papa taped for Comedy Central. Tom Papa is easily one of my favorite stand-ups. His brand of familiar, vaguely domestic comedy touches on marriage, kids, life in general. In some sense, he is an observational comic, but he doesn't get lost in the quicksand of life's quirky details, and he has a warm, conversational style that isn't off-setting like any number of comics who have molded themselves after Seinfeld. And he is really, really funny. Check out the above clip, which manages to rise above the venue (Jay Leno's Tonight Show) to actually be quite charming.

2 comments:

Lucy Dee said...

"There are a lot of working stand-ups at the Comedy Cellar who perform on a nightly basis and are incredibly funny. Many of these comedians fly just below the national radar - they don't have sitcoms, they may get a half-hour specials on Comedy Central - but they are funnier than most super-famous comedians"

Here-here! I've been trying to communicate this very same idea to people, and no one seems to want to listen. Thank God for more grounded individuals like yourself!

I totally was a latch-key kid and gobbled up every second of Comedy Central when it first aired. Gone are the days of Dr. Katz! (*sigh*)

You seem wise/sound in judgment. Perhaps, I'll bounce some ideas off of you concerning my standup set.

I'm in NYC, too.
We should meet up.

Check me out at:
http://standup101.blogspot.com

Professor Atish said...

Hey Lucy -

Thanks for reading and posting. Dr. Katz was also an old favorite of mine, too. Good luck with performing in NYC - it is tough. There are a few really good comics flying under the radar in NYC, and lots of really bad ones, too. The open mic scene is a tough one, but you've got to fight through it, and no better place to hone your craft. I'll check out your blog, and hope your forays into comedy in New York are treating you well!