Saturday, June 23, 2007

Penguin, Robot, Monster

First, let's have a little test. See if you can match the pictures above with their corresponding titles below:

"Giving Up"
"Two Penguins, One Hammer"
"Six Penguins, One Hatchet"
"Flashing Santa"
"Astronauts and Baseball"
"Swimmers and Zombies"

Did you do well?

I spent the afternoon in Narragansett, RI, visiting my folks, collecting a few things (CDs that I've recently bought and books that I am still reading, mostly, while the rest stays moth-balled). We took a walk down to the village green, where the Narragansett Art Fair was going on. There was some all-right stuff there - decent photography of New England land and sea-scapes, some nice metalwork and a few nice oil painters, but mostly decorative, nothing surprising. But then I stumbled into Greg Stones' tent. Modestly sized-stuff, but wonderfully detailed and laugh out loud funny. Really, really great. It was a shame that the artist had stepped out, probably for a Del's, but check out his website - there's tons of fun stuff to see. For example, titles I've left out:

"Zombie, Robot, Flower"
"Penguin, Robot, Revolver"
"Monster and Giant Penguin"

And on top of charming paintings, how about this charming About the Artist description:
I am a Rhode Island-based graduate of Bates College who majored in Studio Art, minored in Music, and married a visually appealing smart girl last year. Oh yes, and I have spent the past nine years working as a full-time artist. Why am I a full-time artist? Because I have no other skills. Also, I am extremely lucky, because not only do people like how I paint, they like what I paint, and that makes all the difference. Zombies, penguins, blue aliens, naked people, people flashing animals, barns, landscapes, UFOs, quiet human interactions...all these various elements of my work strike chords with enough people that I am actually able to do what I love to do every single day of my life: watch television. Oh, and paint. I almost forgot about the painting part. Painting. Gotta love it. Good stuff. (Did I mention the visually appealing smart girl? She's my wife.)
I guess the only question left is, JJK, Emster, exactly how many of these paintings and prints would you like as gifts for your wedding?

3 comments:

znk said...

as many as possible.

Anonymous said...

Hello. I'm really sorry that I wasn't in my tent when you were checking out my work in Narragansett. I have too many friends at that show, which leads to too much wandering off to shoot the breeze.

Anyway, keep an eye out on my website and Amazon.com, because I am about to publish my first illustrated humor book: Goodbye Penguins.

Thanks again for writing about my work!

Professor Atish said...

Greg -

Will definitely pick up your book when it comes out. I grew up in South County (RI), and have popped into the Narragansett and Wickford art fairs for many summers. Your stuff was unique, and great. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Would love to see something on a bigger canvas, will keep an eye out for your stuff next time I am in RI and checking out art... Good luck!