Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Manny

From the New Yorker:
“We were trying to push some edges,” Holly said. “If it weren’t for Holly’s book being associated with a publisher and all that, we might have pushed it even further and had more curse words,” Jay said. One particularly risqué segment posed a personnel problem more pressing than a potential shunning at Shinnecock. “The kid, Dylan, was either going to hump a chair or hump the nanny’s leg,” Holly said. “As a mother, I wasn’t going to ask my kids or my friends’ kids to do that.” Hence, the dwarf. Jay recalled, “We thought, Why don’t we hire a little person? That should get some good laughs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where was it I had to read about this before I even read about it in the New Yorker? Why is this big news, aside from the obvious reason that 'Holly', if that is her real name, is extremely well connected? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see Duff working and everything, but is it really notable that someone on the UES is exploiting media?

Professor Atish said...

Totally right, this is the smallest news possible. What strikes me, other than watching the New Yorker stumble upon that fine line between contempt and sycophancy, is the total lack of taste of these people. And I don't mean the racist stuff, I don't care about that. It's that these folks, per the article, watch
"these irreverent, un-P.C. Internet videos, like ‘Dick in a Box,’ and ‘Lazy Sunday,'" as if SNL were still the cutting edge and refer to each other as "Yummy Mummies." Shouldn't they know better?

Maybe I should have titled the post Another Reason to Eat the Rich...