Sunday, June 24, 2007

Aunt Jacky / DJ Youtube

Isn't this exactly what the Internet is for? Democratizing both the creative tools and the broadcast mediums, so that both the talented and under-appreciated, and the un-talented and under-appreciated can get their shit out? For us, the people?

Seriously, Aunt Jacky should be proud. The boys get their hands on ProTools or whatever, cut a really fun track, go out on the street on a Thursday night, film a video with some crazy and charismatic dancing, edit it, stick it on YouTube, and then get a Slate article written about them... well, deserved, and my favorite new Harlem two-step since the Harlem Shake...

On a separate, related note - while walking down Lafayette, after getting a coffee, I noticed "DJ Youtube" scrawled into a bank of posted advertisements. I thought it was the best rap name I'd heard in a while. Well, it takes mixology to the next level, as far as I can tell... although I'm not quite sure what it is and I'm certainly not sure if I like it... but take a look: DJ Youtube.

No comments: