Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Five from Marcel Dzama

I was a fan of Marcel Dzama before I knew I was a fan. Wandering around an otherwise largely dull Armory Show in 2004, MM and I happened upon Dzama's weird, whimsical, amusing, and strangely sinister drawings and installations. We both loved them, of course. So even though HH demanded that I go the Dzama show ("Don't you know the cover for Beck's Guero!"), I didn't know who he was, hadn't placed a name with the drawings that so amused me, and didn't go. Not until ED and I were wandering out of the New Museum and ED pointed out the Dzama books to me did I put two and two together. Yes!

Still haven't seen the exhibit at the David Zwirner gallery, and I guess if I don't make it this weekend, I am out of luck.

In the meantime, here's an interview.


No comments: