Thursday, April 10, 2008

50 Best Sketches?



In the halcyon days of my latch key youth, The Kids in the Hall on Comedy Central anchored my afternoons. I watched a lot of sketch, and a lot of stand-up, and while I never quite had a spirit guide or mentor as I wound my way through comedy, I think I eventually covered most of the bases. So it was interesting to see the Nerve/IFC-curated 50 Greatest Sketches of All Time list. Does it hold up? Within reason, I suppose, although Laurel & Hardy are shockingly missing (I think they would qualify as sketches...), SNL is grossly over-represented, Mr. Show and The Kids in the Hall, and a hatful of non-Monty Python British-based comedy seems altogether missing. But like any top 50 list, it is hit or miss, and a lot of great stuff is necessarily left out... like the Sam Park Revue. Ha.




No comments: