Thursday, November 1, 2007

Money by Amis

I was reading Money by Martin Amis. I saw RM. He said he loved it. Wasn't it so funny. I saw OES. He said he loved it. Wasn't it so funny. I saw NG. He said he loved it. Wasn't it so funny.

I don't have a lot to say about the novel. The first 100 pages were great. Words flew off the page, winning lines dropped coolly and casually, clever ideas crept in, were beat-up, discarded. And the sex, the drugs, the booze, and the money. 100 pages of percussion, beating, popping, slapping.
And then? Nothing much more. A few clever conventions. Not a lot of heart. Does that constitute a review? Probably not. But I don't have much else to say about Money.

3 comments:

karsten said...

Do you mean you think the writing actually changed and got worse around page 100, or just that you got bored with the way it was written because it lacked substance?

I read it last year and was hooked the whole time. It's still shocking to me that the guy who could write Money is writing conceited neo-conservative progaganda nowadays.

Professor Atish said...

A little bit of both, I think. Certainly, by page 100, the lack of substance got boring, and the sizzle in the writing was the same sizzle as it was for the first 100 pages, so it lost some of its sizzle. It's one of the problems of writing cleverly, isn't it? You have to keep getting more clever.

karsten said...

Did you at least laugh when the fake entrepreneur is explaining to Self that he has to visibly spend money for people to give him more money, and he says something like, "go out and buy a case of champagne and pour it all over your dick"? I'm pretty sure that was after page 100.

Did you at least appreciate how the plot exemplifies the logic of capitalism in the person of this one guy, named Self, who has to continually accelerate his own habits of consumption in order to achieve success?