Sunday, November 25, 2007

Are You Lonesome Tonight?

I loved the premise of this article, but didn't like the article itself. I'd buy multiple DVD compilations of great moments in banter -- from the odd, unfortunate breakdowns, to transcendent moments, to the just plain unusual. Of contemporaneous indie rockers (i.e., who I go to see in concert most often), the best performers for on-stage banter would be Malkmus and Craig Finn, of the Hold Steady, in runners-up position, and the legendary Bob Pollard holding the title aloft. That's my opinion.

Another reason for loving this article is this pretty great Elvis clip. Watching a performer who died before I have any context for them is really interesting... and substantively different from watching a performer who just happened to have his prime before my time. I feel like I have a good sense for Bob Dylan or even the Beatles, as performers, but very little for the magnetism of Elvis or, say, Hendrix.

No comments: