Sunday, October 28, 2007

Let's Stay Friends

I've seen Les Savy Fav a couple of times, notably at the Mercury Lounge in 2001 or 2002, when, in the midst of a frenetic set, the lead singer sat down on the apron of the stage directly to my right, proceeded to wrap his meaty legs around the very thin indie-rock boy standing next to me, sing at him, and then, excruciatingly, lick the boy's face. It was disgusting and weird, and the boy looked very uncomfortable, and Tim Harrington's a pretty big dude, so I was doing a little mental calculation about the likely outcomes of my punching him in the face if he tried the same thing with me, standing six inches to the left. But the band absolutely rocked.

I've seen the band more live than I've bothered to listen to them on record, but did recently buy Let's Stay Friends, which is really good -- totally recommended. Mostly, I wanted to post the album's cover art -- which is the funniest painting/album title pairing I've seen since Dump released Grown-Ass Man.

Also, if indie rock is how you arrived at this blog, I have found Stereogum's "Quit Your Day Job" feature to be modestly diverting...

No comments: