Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Owen Wilson

Monday afternoon I was flipping through Technorati when the Owen Wilson suicide news popped up on my screen. After a moment, I stood up, turned to my co-workers and said "I don't think I can work anymore today. Owen Wilson tried to kill himself."

Two people laughed, and one immediately said "That's not funny." But I wasn't really trying to be funny - Owen Wilson is by far my favorite contemporary movie star, and it will be genuinely sad if he doesn't pass through this period in his life and return to making the sort of fun, whimsical, genuine, and occasionally dark and slightly weird movies that he makes, both as actor and co-writer. So, get better Owen Wilson. That's all I really have to say, that and link to this great essay about Owen Wilson written in the wake of this news. And also, I don't believe Courtney Love for a minute, but Steve Coogan, say it ain't true.

No comments: